Monday, November 22, 2010

Potato Farms in Maine


One of my goals on this trip was to see Aroostook County in northern Maine, where potatoes are grown.
I heard that the potato crop there is often harvested by Canucks from Canada who come over the border when it is time to harvest.


 I drove through the small roads that took me through the woods whenever I could. This was slow driving, and tall dark trees were on both sides of the road. It was cloudy and rainy and I couldn’t tell which direction I was traveling most of the time.

After a night of rain the morning looked better. I drove past open fields under the blue sky and I even found a potato farm. I saw more potatoes than I thought I could ever see.

The Canadians traveled and camped in trucks with canvas tops or in trucks sort of like mine. Later in the afternoon I was sitting on the steps of my truck and a few of them came over. We talked for a while and the kids played with Charley. They said they travel into Maine each year for the potato harvest. They said it paid pretty well. I opened beers for the adults and sodas for the kids. They were very formal in the way they spoke and acted, but friendly, too. After a while we said goodnight. I had planned an early morning drive for the next day. 

Well, it is early morning now, and I really need to move on. I found myself on U.S Highway 1 toward Madawaska, and then turned south on US Highway 11.


I was getting impatient today, though I had to get out of Maine and move on, back down through the White Mountains. Leaves are falling from the trees now, and there is a lot more snow on the mountaintops.Charley wasn't too happy because I ignored most of his nagging to run around. My goal was to get near Lancaster, New Hampshire. Nothing could have stopped me. I needed a bath and a good night’s sleep.  This inn that i stopped by was near a big river with trees on its banks. It was really pretty, but I waited for hours for someone to be at the front desk. No one ever came, so I just slept in my truck. It was frustrating for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment