Monday, November 22, 2010

Just Another Day

After a sleepless night last night I finally got up and walked Charley down to the river. It was about 9:30 when I hit the road. It was a Sunday morning in Vermont and I decided to go to church, but didn’t know where one was. I came across a John Knox church and took my seat on the back row. I felt better after the service. I guess an attitude adjustment was necessary. This trip has been frustrating so far and I haven’t even been gone that long.

I always wanted to see Niagara Falls so traveling today I crossed into New York at Rouses Point, at the northern border of Vermont and New York. I continued driving along the northern border to see as much of Lake Ontario as I could.


It started raining and raining hard. I couldn’t see in front of me so I pulled off the main highway onto a smaller one. I thought about skipping the trip to Niagara, but after a while I continued on.

Niagara Falls was beautiful.
Today I thought I would save some time by crossing into Canada for just a short ride and then get back into the U.S. The problem with this was at the Canadian border they told me they would let Charlie into Canada, but the U.S would not let him back in unless he had vaccination papers, which I do not have with me. I had to backtrack about 20 miles and find a vet. We stayed the night at a motel.

I needed to make up time today so I reluctantly got on Interstate.90. Not so good for viewing the countryside, but at least I will get out of New England. The main view today, besides other cars and trucks on the road, was rest stops and roadside restaurants. I decided to stay on Interstate 90 and avoid Buffalo, NY, Erie, PA and on through Madison, OH. I got on U.S. 20 and I stayed south of Lake Erie to avoid Cleveland and Toledo, OH. This took me into Michigan. Traveling these roads I saw many mobile home parks, some very much like small villages. This was not what I had planed on seeing, but it was still interesting. For a small fee I could park and stay overnight. Charley really liked this because there were always other pet dogs at these little villages. Sometimes I would have dinner with someone who lived in one of these places. They were always friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment