Saturday, November 27, 2010

Everything is Bigger in Texas


I continued my journey through the Southwest, getting a little anxious to get back home. The nights were amazing. Stars lit up the skies and looked like they were close enough to touch them.
Charley and I continued on our journey and crossed the deserts of Arizona and into New Mexico.  Tonight I stopped and camped out on the Continental Divide and I decided this is better than the “north” version of it.  It was very dark outside. The stars were very bright and the air was very cold and dry.
I am tired and am getting anxious to get home.  I guess Texas will be the next big stop. It is like its own nation. It is the only state that joined the Union by a treaty. Each part of Texas has its own unique character; various climates, color, countryside and cityscapes. For example, the Rio Grande Valley has citrus orchards. The Gulf Coast is hot and humid, The Panhandle can be very cold and is flat land, and the Davis Mountains in west Texas have small hills and streams. Many cattle are raised in South Texas.

Here’s another slow-down to my trip. I had to spend a few days in Amarillo after a passing car threw up some rocks and broke out my windshield.  Charley wasn't doing to well again, so I took the time to find a vet. He wanted to keep Charley a few days treat him. It is almost Thanksgiving now and friends invited me to dinner on their ranch.

No comments:

Post a Comment