Sunday, November 28, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving from Texas


I feel so much better now…I was able to take a bath. I was given a tour of the place. There was a barn kennels with pointer dogs for hunting, and a corral with quarter horses. There were dams that helped hold water for small ponds and the trout were splashing around. At one of the ponds were a herd of cattle. After dark I was lucky enough to see wild turkeys come in to roost around the trees.
I woke up early this morning. I saw a couple of trout rods with flies already on them so I walked down to one of the ponds and casted it onto the water. On the first cast I caught a fish.  Three more casts later I had caught had caught three more trout.  I took them back to the house where the cook battered and fried them for me. 

That afternoon we went quail hunting. Our host knew where to go and with the pointers with us we thought we would be successful. But no luck at all because the birds were gone. We ate Thanksgiving dinner that afternoon.  I made plans to pick up Charley from the vet and to continue on the rest of my journey.
As luck would have it an ice storm hit us. Roads were slippery and dangerous, especially in this truck. Texas is a big state. I thought we would never get out, going through Sweetwater and then Austin. We skipped Houston and went on through Beaumont. The weather was cold here, too! I drove as much as I could, sleeping very little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment