Monday, November 22, 2010

Here we go!

It’s just past Labor Day in Long Island and I will be leaving soon. Charlie, my dog, is excited to go. There should be less traffic with kids back in school. But to avoid the traffic that is always in NY I will take a couple of ferries and start my trip in Connecticut.

I finally found myself on a small highway headed north this afternoon. I pulled over to the side of the road to look at a map when I suddenly saw how much area I thought I wanted to travel around. When I thought about the whole trip I was overwhelmed. Once I recovered a little bit I continued north. Since my plan was to meet people along the way and invite them into my “home” I realized I might need to tempt them a little. It would be nice to be able to offer them a drink. So when I came across a small store selling liquor I stopped in. I bought a selection of liquors, like whiskey, gin, vodka, rum and beer.

Back on the road going north, I avoided large cities so I could enjoy the scenery. Spending so much time in New York and other large cities does not make we want to see skyscrapers, traffic or smokestacks. I drove up a mountain in Massachusetts and came across a dairy. I bought fresh milk and camped under an apple tree for the night.

Wow, I slept really well last night. Back on the road...north in Vermont and then east to New Hampshire in the White Mountains.


The trees were beautiful here, with it being autumn. Full of color, and orange pumpkins piled high and baskets of squash and red apples. But the weather is getting colder. I drove on up the mountain a little while and saw a sign advertising fresh eggs for sale. I asked the farmer if I could camp near the stream, and then invited him to come over for coffee later that evening. I could tell he was curious about my truck and was dying to know why I was on the road.

When the farmer came over I invited him in and shared my coffee with a little bit of whiskey. We didn’t ask each other’s names. We just talked about my trip a little and some current events, and whatever else came up. I was planning on leaving the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment